Draupadi Murmu is a former Governor of Jharkhand belonging to the tribal community. India has a democratic government. Here, the ruling leaders are chosen by the people of the country. After every five years, an election takes place for selecting new leaders. However, people can choose the existing leader again through their precious votes. In similar cases, the president of India also holds a service tenure of five years. In India, the last presidential election was held in 2017. After five years, again the election is going to be held in 2022. One of the candidates for this top post is Draupadi Murmu. Here you will find complete information about Draupadi Murmu.
Short and Long Draupadi Murmu Essay in English
Here, I’m presenting long and short essays on Draupadi Murmu under different word limits. This topic is useful for every people who want to know Draupadi Murmu in detail. However, this topic is also important for students preparing for various competitive exams.
10 Lines Essay on Draupadi Murmu (100 – 120 Words)
1) Draupadi Murmu is an Indian politician and a social worker.
2) She hails from the Santhal community in Baidaposi village of Mayurbhanj, Orissa.
3) On Friday 20 June 1958, she was born in the house of Biranchi Narayan Tudu.
4) She joined BJP in 1997 and entered politics as a councilor in Rairangpur, Orissa.
5) She served Bhartiya Janata Party (BJP) by holding many prestigious positions.
6) From 2015 to 2021, she served as 9th governor of Jharkhand.
7) Draupadi Murmu holds a good political image and experience.
8) Draupadi Murmu is the first tribal woman from the East to hold such a top position.
9) Draupadi Murmu was also awarded Nilkantha Award by the Legislative Assembly of Orissa for being the best MLA.
10) In the 2022 presidential election, her name is highlighted by the BJP-led NDA (National Democratic Alliance).
Short Essay on Draupadi Murmu (200 – 250 Words)
Draupadi Murmu is an active tribal politician hailing from a remote location of Orissa. On 20 June 1958, she was born in the Baidaposi village of Mayurbhanj (Orissa). Her father Biranchi Narayan Tudu was the village headman. Being born in the Santhal community of a tribal family, Draupadi Murmu faced many hardships and struggles.
She was an assistant teacher before entering politics in 1997. She also served as BJP’s Vice-president of Scheduled Tribes Morcha. Serving twice as MLA of Rairangpur, she was elected as the 9th Governor of Jharkhand from 2015 to 2021. Draupadi Murmu is also renowned for being the best MLA by the prestigious Nilkantha Award by the Orissa Legislative Assembly. Despite several personal tragedies like the death of her husband and then two grown-up sons, she was always dedicated to serving society.
A few years back, when Pranab Mukherjee was all set to leave the Rashtrapati Bhavan, Draupadi Murmu was selected as a possible candidate. Draupadi Murmu holds several important political positions in her career and yet waiting for a new one. Her name is nominated as a candidate for the 2022 presidential election by the NDA (National Democratic Alliance). She is expected to fight the election against Yashwant Sinha (All India Trinamool Congress). Till now, no name of a tribal woman is nominated for the Presidential post.
Long Essay on Draupadi Murmu (600 Words)
Draupadi Murmu is the first tribal woman to be selected as the governor of Jharkhand. Murmu is also the first governor of the Jharkhand state to complete a full five-year service term. She is also the first leader from the East to be appointed to the officer post. If selected as the new president of India, another ‘first’ will be added to her name. She will be the second woman president but the first woman tribal president of India.
Also Read – Essay on Save Trees Save Nature
Draupadi Murmu – Early Life
Belonging to a small village Baidaposi of Mayurbhanj, Orissa, Draupadi Murmu was born on 20 June 1958. Her father, Biranchi Narayan Tudu, and her grandfather served as village headmen under Panchayati Raj. Her schooling was from KB HS Uparbeda School, Mayurbhanj and later she has done BA from Rama Devi Women’s University, Bhubaneswar. She was married to Shyam Charan Murmu and the couple had three children (two sons and one daughter). Draupadi Murmu was an Assistant teacher at Shri Aurobindo Integral Education and Research, Rairangpur. She suffered depression after losing her husband and two sons.
The Political Appearance of Draupadi Murmu
Draupadi Murmu entered politics in 1927 as a part of the Bhartiya Janta Party (BJP). In the same year, she got selected as councilor of Rairangpur, Orissa. She was also chosen as Vice-President of BJP’s Scheduled Tribes Morcha. From 6 March 2000 to 6 August 2002, she served as Minister of Commerce and Transport, and then from 6 August 2002 to 16 May 2004 she held Fisheries and Animal Resource Department.
During the union of BJP (Bhartiya Janata Party) and BJD (Biju Janata Dal), Draupadi Murmu managed to win the election. She was elected twice as MLA from Rajrangpur. Draupadi Murmu was also awarded by the Legislative Assembly of Orissa the Nilkantha Award for being the best MLA. After that Murmu was elected as the 9th Governor of Jharkhand. She served Jharkhand from 2015 to 2021.
Now in 2022, during the time of the Presidential election, JP Nadda announced Draupadi Murmu as the official candidate from NDA (National Democratic Alliance) for President. The name was decided in the BJP’s parliamentary board meeting against Yashwant Sinha (All India Trinamool Congress).
Lesser known facts about Draupadi Murmu
There are some hidden facts about the personal life of Draupadi Murmu. This would help you to know her better.
- Murmu lost her first son in 2009 the second in 2013 and her husband in 2014.
- Currently, she lives with her only daughter Itishree Murmu.
- She donated her in-laws’ house to a school.
- The school also holds memorials of her husband and two sons.
- In 2016, Murmu announced to donate her eyes after death to Kashyap Memorial Eye Hospital, Ranchi.
- Before entering politics, she worked as an assistant in the irrigation department (Orissa).
- In 1983, to look after children she left her government job.
- In 2017, she was selected as a presidential candidate but lost the election.
- If chosen as president, she will also be the first president to be born after independence.
- Till 2009, Draupadi Murmu did not have her own house.
Draupadi Murmu hails from the tribal community and her work for people is really appreciable. Her humble political image helps her to earn respect and fame. Due to her down-to-earth nature and good work, she was selected to serve India in different prestigious positions. In an interview regarding the presidential election, she conferred that she feels delighted as well as surprised for being nominated for such a big role.
I hope the above given essay on Draupadi Murmu will be helpful in understanding different aspects of her life.
FAQs: Frequently Asked Questions on Draupadi Murmu
Q.1 When will be the 2022 presidential election will be held?
Ans. The 2022 Presidential election is going to be held on 18 July 2022 and the counting of the votes will be done on 21 July 2022.
Q.2 What is the net worth of Draupadi Murmu?
Ans. Draupadi Murmu is an active politician whose net worth is approximately $ 1.5 million in 2021.
Q.3 Who is the current CM of Jharkhand?
Ans. Hemant Soren is the current (2022) CM of Jharkhand.
Q.4 Who is the first female President of India?
Ans. Shri Pratibha Patil was the first female Prime Minister of India served from 2007 to 2012.